The Power of Yoga

I’m going to be totally honest here.  My schedule is terrible and leaves little to no time to take care of myself.  I spend 4 hours a day commuting to and from work (a total of 20 hours a week *cries*), I already wake up at 5AM to set up/edit whatever video I need to, make breakfast for Andrew and I, shower and get ready etc., so doing anything for myself in the morning without waking up even earlier is simply out of the question.  I’m also not a night owl in the slightest.  After working all day, I feel zero motivation to get anything done when I arrive home and I usually have to cook which can take upwards of an hour depending on the meal.  On top of all that, I’m forced to spend 90% of my day sitting on the train, sitting at work (rarely getting a break), and sitting on the train again.  It’s resulted in me getting major lower back pain, to the point where I get home and feel like all I can do is lay down.  (I swear there’s a positive spin coming here despite all that complaining!)  Then at around 9:30-10:00 each night, I’m struggling to keep my eyes open (which I find the most sad on Friday nights)

Recently, YouTuber Yoga with Adrienne (I owe a huge amount of thanks to My Open Sketchbook for putting Adriene on my radar!) uploaded a video entitled “Yoga for Hips & Lower Back Release.”  After a particularly painful day, I decided to give it a try because I figured, nothing could possibly make what I was feeling any worse and I was willing to try anything at this point.  (There is a pose in the beginning where you have your head between your knees and she advises you to breathe into your private little love cave which caused me to burst out laughing because I am the pinnacle of maturity but I have since acclimated to the phrase.)  I’m so pleased to say that this video in particular worked WONDERS for me.  In just two days I had virtually no back pain anymore.  I was definitely sore in other places after my first couple of sessions but that was way more manageable! Anyone who knows me personally knows that I am a huge ball of stress and anxiety, and I am always tense.  After doing this video the first time, I almost couldn’t get up because my muscles felt so relaxed and I was like “WHAT IS THIS FOREIGN MAGICAL FEELING?! AM I DRUNK?!”  I almost felt like I was wobbling while walking to the bathroom to brush my teeth because my muscles were so loose! I can honestly say that my muscles have never in my entire life felt like that.  I actually think I’ve been sleeping better as a result since I’m going to bed feeling relaxed instead of feeling incredibly tense from my day.

I can’t even describe how thankful I am to have taken those first twenty minutes when I normally would’ve been laying down to do something active that left me feeling better in so many ways.  I’m sure that Daylight Savings Time also had some hand in me feeling like I can do things after work, but I really feel like I’m drawing the vast amount of my energy from these nightly yoga sessions.  I even daydream at my desk about going home just so I can try a new video.  I added so many of Adriene’s videos to my YouTube queue and I’m slowly going through them and seeing which ones work for me and removing the ones that don’t.  It’s also given me an excuse to wear all of the cute workout gear I’ve purchased through the years for that imagined future where I dreamed of having time for exercise.  I’ve always been skeptical of yoga because it doesn’t involve a lot of sweating or fast movement so I assumed it wasn’t really doing much of anything for me but I am officially converted.  I can’t even see this being a phase because I want my body to feel this good and my mind to feel this clear forever.  Andrew has also commented on me being less stressed during our commute so I’m pleased that it’s has enough of an effect that others are even noticing as well!  I’m planning on trying out some of the longer videos this weekend and I cannot wait!

18 Responses to “The Power of Yoga”

1. Ahh that’s so good to know! Chris and I started doing some of her videos but I want to start at the super beginning stages. I might try the back pain one though because it’s constant for me.

I honestly cannot recommend that one video enough. It’s been the best one of hers that I’ve done so far and it’s really helped my back tremendously! You have to let me know what you think if you try it out!!!

I’m so glad Yoga is helping you!!

I’ve been a ballerina when I was younger and after having to quit (for several reasons) I found myself completely lost because I hated going to the gym. I forced myself for years, then I discovered Adriene’s channel and I finally gave it a try last Summer. At first I decided to do yoga only 3 days a week but then I was looking forward to do it so I finally started the 30 day challenge (this year’s one is called TRUE) and I love it because it starts from basic stuff and goes a little bit deeper in the end but still nothing crazy. I finished it last week (I got the flu twice since the beginning of the year so it took me longer than I expected!) and now I’m following the calendar she gives you in her newsletter which is a mix of all her videos past and present.

Seriously, I couldn’t be more grateful for her channel!!
    Alice recently posted…A Different Way to Use Instagram | My ExperienceMy Profile

I really want to start one of her 30 day challenges! I went back and added videos all the way from when she started her channel and I’m so enjoying them. I did her deep stretch video today and I can already tell that everything is going to be sore tomorrow lol!

3. Cassie says:

A lot of the vinyasa poses actually kick your butt, but my biggest problem with yoga is (like most workouts) I find it so incredibly boring.
    Cassie recently posted…My Year in Reading: Cassie-la’s February 2018 Wrap UpMy Profile

4. OMG.

Yes This. All of this.

I’m in the same boat as you – I spend 4-5 commuting to/from my job each day and it is grueling and painful. I found Yoga With Adrienne last year and so many of her videos are so helpful – back pain, shoulder pain, headaches, anxiety… you name it, she’s got it, and she’s so sweet and easy to watch and follow for beginners. I’m glad yoga is working for you – I recommend it to everyone who is experiencing muscle pain. :)

Have a fabulous day!!!

Yessss!!!! I’ve done a couple of her videos for anxiety and I feel like those have helped me a lot too! Commuting and sitting at a desk really is a killer. I’m so glad to be doing something active even if it’s coming out of time I initially wanted to spend relaxing!

5. Gillian says:

Yay yoga! That is my number one workout in mornings and winter. I’ll have to check out Yoga With Adrienne. I usually do Bad Yogi’s workouts because she’s so chill and not a typical yogi.
    Gillian recently posted…listen: sam smith “the thrill of it all”My Profile

6. Yay! Glad that you like the yoga!
    Mariah Kaercher recently posted…The Month in WordPress: February 2018My Profile

7. Leah says:

I definitely need to try this as I am stressed out almost all the time since college (which is crazy because I though graduation would make it stop!) I’m glad you feel better!

8. Celeste says:

OMG Kristin, I’ve been wanting to start doing yoga and that channel sounds perfect! I will try to fit a couple of videos in my schedule next week. I’m so happy for you, I’ve been trough something similar in the last few weeks!

David and I downloaded an app called Sweat (by Kayla Itsines) and it’s been helping us SO MUCH. You have to pay for it, but it creates a 28 minutes exercise routine with mostly body-weight and cardio, so it’s super easy to do. We are on week 7 already because we loved it so much. It’s truly making us feel stronger and more motivated :D.

By the way, your outfits are super cute as always <3.
    Celeste recently posted…Valentine’s Day Harry Potter CookiesMy Profile

Ahh I have to try the trial of Sweat and see if I like it enough to pay for it! That’s amazing that you’ve stuck with it for so long already! And I hope you love Adriene’s videos!

9. […] will become staples or new favorites.  I’m shopping with clearer intention and I think yoga (which I wrote about earlier this week) is also helping me keep a clear mind and instilling the desire to keep a clear physical […]

10. I TOTALLY feel you on the commuting- thankfully I have a lot of flexibility to work virtually, but when I do have to go into my office it’s 2 hours each way and it makes for a ROUGH commute. I haven’t really tried yoga before but I’m prone to back pain when stressed (which is often lol) so I’m curious to try this!
    Cristina @ Girl in the Pages recently posted…February 2018 Month in ReviewMy Profile