TTT: Bookish New Year’s Resolutions

Top Ten Tuesday’s are a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish in which anyone who participates creates a Top Ten list of books based on a weekly prompt they provide (the list for advance topics can be found by clicking the link above).

This is my first time participating in Top Ten Tuesdays after reading plenty of everyone else’s posts throughout 2015.  I thought bookish resolutions would be the perfect place to jump in since it’s January which means it’s a great time for new beginnings and fresh starts!  I’m not necessarily going to be creating a post for the topic every single Tuesday but I’ll definitely be joining in on the topics I find most interesting.

TTT 2016 Bookish Resolutions

1) Reading goals

In 2015 I set my Goodreads reading goal at 100 books and I ended up surpassing my goal by 8 books which I’m very proud of considering that I had some slow months in the latter half of the year.  I’ve decided to set the same 100 book goal for myself this year because I have a lot going on (ie. wedding planning) and since I was satisfied at the end of 2015, I’ll be happy if I reach or surpass the same goal in 2016!  I also want to complete all of the 2016 Reading Challenges I signed up for!

2 Reviewing goals

I did a fantastic job of reviewing the majority of books I read in 2015 and I want to continue on that path in 2016.  There were a few reviews that I wish I would’ve written a little closer to when I had finished reading (just because procrastinating bothers me, not because I feel like it effected the content of the review in any way).

3 Book Buying Goals

Unlike most people, my book buying goal doesn’t necessarily have to do with buying less books or spending less money on books because a big goal for me in 2016 is to build an even better Book Collection.  I really want to invest in collectible editions of some of my favorites (I’m particularly eying some Folio Society editions).  I also want to make a huge effort to read my new release books right away instead of letting them sit on my shelf until they end up in a video like this.

4 Book Photography Goals

I mentioned in my End of the Year Survey that I’ve gotten really critical of my photos to the point where I don’t post as much as I want to because I feel like the reality of my photos don’t live up to the ~expectations~ I hold myself to (it’s RLY hard to get good photos when you leave for work before the sun rises and come home after it sets).  I want to make an effort to take a bunch of photos on weekends that I can edit and post throughout the week.  My goal is to to post at least one Bookstagram Photo a day (Monday – Friday) for all of 2016.  Ambitious, I know!

5 BookTube Goals

I’m really proud of how consistently I was able to post videos on my BookTube channel in 2015.  February will be my one year mark and there’s a good chance I will hit 100 videos by that time! (Thanks in huge part to Andrew’s incredible editing skills).  In 2016 I want to keep doing what I’ve been doing because it’s my favorite non-work-thing-that-I-treat-like-a-work-thing that I do.

6 Read-a-thon Goals

I want to actively participate in at least 3 read-a-thons this year.  I’m currently working on the TBR Takedown 3.0 event which runs through the 10th and I’m definitely planning on participating in BookTube-A-Thon again because that was one of my favorites.  I’m also considering RYBSAT.  I’ve always wished I could do Deweys 24 Hour Read-A-Thon but I’m an old lady so there’s no way I could stay up for 24 hours reading.  There have been numerous times where I’ve tried to read before bed and woke up to my book falling on my face.

7 Book Blogging Community Goals

2015 was the year that I discovered what a huge community of book bloggers there are, thanks in large part to Alexa of Alexa Loves Books who hosted the Book Bloggers Love-A-Thon.  I met the majority of book bloggers I interact with regularly during that event and I couldn’t be more thankful!  I want to participate in so many more events like this in 2016 (like the OTSP Secret Sister Project, TBTB Secret Santa which is how I met Michelle of Pink Polka Dot Books and I’ll definitely be doing the Love-A-Thon again).  I’m really looking forward to making even more online friends that may someday turn into IRL friends.   I also want to attend more bookish events since there are SO many in NYC.  I feel like I have no excuse for not going to them all! And lastly, I want to make an effort to comment more on the sites that I follow and read every single day.  There are probably a ton of people who don’t even know that I keep up with all of their post because of my lack of comments but I swear I’m there and I’m listening!

8 Book Unhaul Goals

I really need to do a major book unhaul and purge my current collection of books I’m never going to re-read, books I thought were okay but I don’t have shelf space for, books I really dislike but I’ve kept so I can hold them up for negative questions in BookTube tag videos and just some old ones that I’ve lost interest in.  I just need to make sure I can find a good place to donate my babies and to know that they’ll be loved once I let them go!

9 Goodreads Goals

My number one Goodreads goal (besides the year challenge I previously mentioned) is to keep extremely organized shelves so my end of the year posts will be easier to complete.  I remember last year seeing the billion shelves many book bloggers have and thinking yikes! that seems like a nightmare to keep up with.  Then I did all of these end of the year posts and I kept thinking, WHY DIDN’T I CREATE MORE GOODREADS SHELVES?!

10 Bookish Organization Goals

Since 2016 started I’ve been using Hazel of Stay Bookish’s Book Blog Planner and I’m pretty obsessed with it! The design is just beautiful and it’s really helped me stay organized so far.  I may have even outlined some things I want to do in December of 2016 because that’s how far ahead it’s inspiring me to plan.  I also want to make sure that I always carry TWO notebooks (one for blog ideas and one for BookTube ideas) with me at all times.  The amount of times I’ve had a great idea and forgotten it due to not writing it down is unacceptable.  Lastly, I’m going to continue keeping an iPhone list of books read by month in addition to Goodreads updates because I’ve been doing this since 2012 so it’s really just pure habit at this point.

BONUS

21 Responses to “TTT: Bookish New Year’s Resolutions”

1. Cassie says:

YAY! Your first Top Ten Tuesday! Which is strange because you’re the one who introduced it to me.

Winter lighting is the worst. It was so much easier to take Bookstagram photos before we changed the clocks (at least on my phone). There are some people who take such gorgeous photos that they must upload them from a digital camera. This is a thing I tell myself. =)

Good luck on your goals! If anyone can do it, it’s you. <3
    Cassie recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Cassie-la’s 10 2016 Reading ResolutionsMy Profile

Love your goals!
    That planner is so beautiful!! I currently use the printable journal by Modern Darcy for my readings, like a paper Goodreads.
    Alice recently posted…My Reading Challenges for 2016My Profile

3. I like what you said about building a collection rather than just buying books. I have this issue! I used to buy a little too much but lately only buy books I really know I want to own, in order to only have a collection of favorites or really great books. Totally agree about photography too. Most of my pictures are stacks of books or the book on my lap with a coffee. Lol! ALSO completely with you on the Goodreads shelves. I used to think people are CRAZY for having so many, but I finally took the time to do it.. and it’s a lifesaver! I love using my customized shelves for TTTs and recommendations.
    Lauren @ Bookmark Lit recently posted…Top Ten Tuesdays #71: 2016 ResolutionsMy Profile

I think the million shelves are going to make my life so much easier! I really want to start a spreadsheet for the year too so I can do Brittany and Andi’s Statistics Survey with ease. I read too much to figure it all out at the end of 2015!

4. Marian says:

I like your organization goals! Having a notebook is always a good idea. I swear, I must have three in my purse at all times. lol
    Marian recently posted…Top Ten TuesdayMy Profile

5. Emily Alfano says:

I like your readathon goal, because I’ve recently joined my second readathon and am really excited about it! i don’t know what it is about them, but I always feel more inclined to read more that week and maybe it’s all the hype but i love seeing everyone’s posts and what they’re reading! great TTT post this week!
    Emily Alfano recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday (124)My Profile

6. I like your goal about building a book collection. Like, more mindful book buying.
    Kate @ Ex Libris recently posted…This Raging Light By Estelle LaureMy Profile

I know you’ll be able to accomplish all of these! You’re the best book reader I know!
    Rachel recently posted…January GoalsMy Profile

8. I am the same way about my pictures (and writing, and just about everything I touch). It’s SO hard being so hard on myself, but I’m working on easing up a little bit. Thanks for the S/O. I was so happy I met you through the Secret Santa thing. It’s always so fun when I get paired up with someone I click with :) And YAY for BEA 2017 coming back to NYC!! I can’t imagine it being as fun anywhere else!
    Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday- Bookish GoalsMy Profile

Of course! I’m so so happy we became friends! And isn’t it so funny how we can be so critical of ourselves about little things that no one else would probably even notice?

9. […] because I ended up picking up a ton of collectible editions to add to my library (I mentioned in my Bookish New Years Resolutions post yesterday that I’m going to try to to be more thoughtful about my book buying and invest in […]

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you’re going to make these goals happen, Kristin! I BELIEVE IN YOU. <3

I support wanting to build a better book collection, ESPECIALLY if it means buying stuff from Folio Society! Their editions are gorgeous, and I'm so happy to own the ones I do. (I still have a few I've got my eye on…)

I, too, am trying to make it a point to really work on my book photography skills! I enjoy sharing photos on Instagram and Twitter and the blog, but I'd like to make sure the quality is up to my standards ;)
    I'm also getting back into the groove of things when it comes to BookTube – which YOU have been a major inspiration for. It's been fun filming the first set of videos I'm going to be sharing (as of last weekend), and I look forward to doing more (and our collab!).

Also, I LOVE that the Love-a-Thon has encouraged you to meet more bloggers (and I'm excited for this year too)! It's such a fun event, and I love doing it because I love sharing the love. (I said love a lot, but can't help it.) That being said, I'd love to see you at more NYC book events <3

Book unhauls/culling shelves are something I like doing, so if you ever need any help… I happily volunteer!
    Alexa S. recently posted…A Truthwitch Affair: {Bookish} Style FilesMy Profile

Thank you! The top two Folio Society collections on my list are LOTR (which you have!) and His Dark Materials. They’re just so beautiful! Your book photography skills are already awesome! I love seeing your instagram photos :-) And ahh I’m so happy that I’ve inspired you to do more BookTubing. I watched your newest video yesterday morning and I am head over heels for your new shelves! And I may have to take you up on helping with book unhauls because every time I try to get rid of one I end up feeling sentimental!

11. JJ says:

Good luck with all of your 2016 resolutions!
    JJ recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday #38My Profile