Conquering the Star Wars Canon Universe

Hi all! You know that feeling when you love something fiercely? When your love runs so deep that it can turn into a borderline waking obsession where you search online for all the things you can find about it?  It’s an all consuming kind of love that burns in your very core. Well, those are my feelings toward Star Wars.  Admittedly, this is not a new thing for me having grown up with A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and being in high school during the excitement that built up before the release of the prequels.  The one aspect of Star Wars that I never tackled (despite watching the films on loop in my room for as long as I can remember) is the extended universe.  I was always fascinated by the other stories that were available but I felt completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of material.  But all that is changing now!

Many people have a love / hate relationship with Disney buying Lucasfilm and birthing the Legendary universe- essentially deeming all of those old books and comics that always intimidated me as no longer canon in the Star Wars universe.  While I can certainly appreciate the frustration that meant for fans, I actually fall on the side of folks who are quite pleased about it.  I love having a definitive timeline of stories to consume and the ability to keep up with everything as it’s being released.  I read my first Star Wars novel just last week and oh boy was it something special<3  I started my journey with Leia, Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Grey and I have since decided that I’m going to watch, read and play everything that’s canon is the Star Wars universe.  It’s already a bit of an undertaking but I’m really excited about it!  Below is a list of everything in canonical order (pulled from Star Wars Canon Timeline BUT the new books announced this week haven’t been added just yet) and I’ll be periodically updating everything as I complete my goal.  I might not consume everything in canonical order, but I am going to make an effort to try.  I’m currently watching The Clone Wars in the chronological order recommended by the Star Wars website and I’m loving it!

1- Read: Darth Maul Comic

20- Watch: Star Wars Rebels

Season One

Season Two

Season Three

Season Four

Season Five

21-  Read: Catalyst (A Rogue One Story)

22- Read: Leia, Princess of Alderaan

63- Read: Captain Phasma comic

64- Read: Canto Bright

65- Read: Cobalt Squadron

66- Read: Star Wars: The Last Jedi: DJ: Most Wanted comic

67- Watch: The Last Jedi

68- Watch: Episode IX

21 Responses to “Conquering the Star Wars Canon Universe”

1. Maureen says:

i didn’t realize there were so many things! ah! thanks for listing it all out so I can attempt in the future

2. Krista says:

Wow, that’s quite the undertaking! Bravo.

Oooh, I see Bloodline on that list. Since you liked Leia, Princess of Alderaan so much I imagine you’ll like Bloodline too. It’s also written by Claudia Gray and it about Leia. An older, more mature Leia – but the story is just as great as LPOA, if not better.

3. tycho says:

I’m definitely one of the Old Guard fans who loved the original EU, but I have to say I’m slowly being won over by some of the new content. Rebels – more so than the new films – has got me feeling that old fangirl excitement again so I recommend diving right in once you’re done The Clone Wars!

Oh my gosh I CANNOT wait to watch Rebels. I’ve seen a couple of the earlier episodes but I’m going to binge it so hard once I finish Clone Wars!

4. I love this! I’m a Star Wars fan for sure but I haven’t gone too deep into things. I like the movies and that’s about it haha. My dad loves them so it’s always fun to go with my family :)
    Lauren @ Bookmark Lit recently posted…Bite-Sized Reviews: Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and Dear MartinMy Profile

5. Gillian says:

Yes! This is exactly me: way too overwhelmed by the EU and so glad Disney restarted it. I’m trying to read as many of these books as possible and also loved Leia!

I’m thinking my next challenge will be to watch everything chronologically before IV. It’ll be rough because Clone Wars and Rebels are hard to find streaming on services that I have but I’m going to try!

6. The Rogue One comics / stories are what interests me the most. Rogue One is easily my favorite Star Wars film, so anything involving them is what I want to read.
    Mariah Kaercher recently posted…The Month in WordPress: February 2018My Profile

7. Jane says:

This is amazing! I can’t wait to hear about your progress. I’m slowly but surely working my way through the Clone Wars show and really enjoying it. Leia, Princess of Alderaan is next up on my Star Wars TBR – I’ve loved both of Claudia Gray’s previous SW novels!
    Jane recently posted…February Wrap Up | Part 2 | #FeministLitFebMy Profile

Ah what season of Clone Wars are you in? Or are you watching in chronological order to? (so much jumping around!). I’m looking forward to reading Bloodline and Lost Stars!

8. Kitty says:

Maureen says:, thank you for this post. Its very inspiring.custom written essays

9. Kristin! This is awesome. I’ve been in the exact same boat, re: SWEU. I tried reading some Legends books earlier this year – starting with the Thrawn trilogy, but I had a hard time getting into it knowing it actually has no bearing on the film universe I’ve always loved. I’m totally gonna follow this action plan with you!

Super excited for this!
    Christa Stephens recently posted…Goodbye, April!My Profile

10. Cassie says:

Holy crap, this looks daunting. But if anyone can do it, you can! May the force be with you.
    Cassie recently posted…Hot Off the Proverbial Presses: March 6, 2018My Profile

11. WOMANTALENT says:

Thank you Rachel. I agree!

12. […] Conquering the Star Wars Canon Universe at Super Space Chick | I love the main Star Wars movies but haven’t expanded anywhere else in the universe. I’m keeping this post bookmarked just in case I decide to. […]

13. click here says:

Marcelo, gratidão eterna pelo carinho em fazer a matéria.